Monday, January 23, 2012

Praise, Pray, Run

We serve a pretty big God, in case you were unaware. Like Psalm 139 (which has been referred to a lot lately) reminds us, He knows where we are... he knows are dark places and meets us there. He knows where we are when we try to hide, and when we inadvertently become lost, He knows where we are. It's tough to take that one in... when NOBODY else knows where we are, He knows. So why doesn't he jump in and rescue us right away? Why does he make us wait? I can't answer that...none of us can, really. So, I guess the dilemma is what do we do while we wait? Whether we are waiting for our own rescue or, more specifically, if we are waiting to hear of the rescue of someone we care about, what do we do in the in-between?

I think the main thing we are supposed to do is to simply be still and wait. We are told to "be still and know" that He is God...that means to be still and know that He will come through. It may not be in a way we expect or hope, but there is not a single doubt in my mind that He will show up and His will will be done. From the time we are small children, we are instructed to remain where we are if we're lost or separated from our group. It's the basic protocol for being found...stay where you are, help and hope will come to you in time. There is probably a huge challenge in knowing what it looks like to be still and wait. So what can we do during the times of unknown, uncertainty, and limbo?

I choose to Praise, Pray, and Run. This isn't a cure-all for uncertainty, by any means, but it is my method for fighting idle thoughts and doubts. It's how I wait without feeling stuck.

I praise my God because He knows where I am. He is that big. He knows that where we feel uncertainty, He will provide resolution. where we have doubts and unknowns, He will provide hope and peace. So, I praise this God...I praise this God for His peace and His truth, even when I feel stuck in limbo. I praise Him because I have faith that the limbo will end.

I pray because that is the only way out of this mess, sometimes. I pray. We pray as a community in my church, and I don't think I've ever been apart of such real, raw prayer as I have in the past week. I pray because He hears every word I pray, whether aloud or silently. When I can't articulate the words, He still knows where my heart is. He sees the darkest places within us and hears our cries. He knows where we are. So, we pray.

I run. I run because when my mind only wants to focus on the dark places, I have to find a light. I run because it brings that light and that clarity. I run because it provides temporary relief from worry. I run until my legs hurt because the physical pain seems to take away the stress, worry, and doubt. So, I run. This weekend I hit double digits for the first time ever on my run. Why? I ran far because I had 10 miles worth of worry and stress to fight.

So, that's it...this is what I do. I am sure everyone has their own way of working through doubts, fears, uncertainties, and limbo. I choose to praise, I choose to pray, and I choose to run!

No comments: