Monday, January 16, 2012

Homeowner Rants... Part 2

Ok, this is just a follow up b/c I need to vent.

My home inspection was apparently done by someone who does not pay attention to detail very well. Also, my roof was apparently built by monkeys. I have now been told by two different roofers that it needs to be replaced, but they can fix it for now (since I don't have insurance to cover a new roof at the moment). It's apparently one of the worst roofs one of the roofers has ever seen...ever. I saw the photos myself, and it is awful, I am fairly certain that I could have done a better job had I built the roof myself. It's awful. I can't even begin to describe how bad it actually looks...and it's only about 2 years old. It was just horribly built. So, roofing repair is a must, and it's gotta be done asap.

My house still needs insulation added too, but I am clueless. I don't even know where to begin...the same goes for the other list of things I could do to keep winter out and heat in. I'm clueless.

As for the plumbing issue. According to Atlanta Watershed morons, my meter works fine... it'd be nice now if I could access the meter myself because I still need to figure out WHERE this supposed leak actually is located. I suspect it's between the house and the meter, but since the City locks those things down, I can't figure it out myself. Whatever the case, a full plumbing job is going to cost me some money... and I suspect that I will need to prepare for that asap as well. I also am pretty sure that I need to properly insulate the plumbing in my crawlspace because the contractors were slackers.

Speaking of slack... the amount of structural support below my house leaves much to be desired. I wanted to have "add structural support" at the top of my to-do list for the house, but since my house isn't yet falling down, I have to fix the immediate stuff first. Sometimes I wish I was actually much handier than I actually am...or just had the resources to hire someone to do everything for me in a single weekend. Unfortunately, I'm just me...not at all handy and soon-to-be broke from house repairs.

So, is it worth it? Is owning my house really worth all of this stress so soon? Yes. The way I see it, I knew all of these things would eventually go wrong. I knew I was going to have a mess on my hands at some point. I have decided that I'd rather it all happen now (as much as it sucks and is costing a lot of money) because I'd rather tackle a lot at once rather than have one big thing after another stretched out over time. Not to say that I expect home-ownership to be problem free in the future... but maybe for a while I can get some peace. I mean, I lived for a year and a half in a 90-year-old house that had no problems. So, maybe someday my house can go that long without falling to pieces. For now, I just have to roll with the punches... maybe here and there I can do something with my house that isn't simply a "must do" and rather makes it more me. For example, maybe I'll paint the dining room the color I want sooner rather than later. That way, at least something I'm doing w/ the house is what I want to do, not what I have to do.

Yeah, I've got a long road ahead... why not jump in head-first?

No comments: