Thursday, September 25, 2014

Survived the season!

One year ago, I was preparing for my big race weekend... Ironman 70.3 Augusta. For the months leading up to the race, triathlon/training was my life. It had become the one thing I could rely on when so many other areas of my life were an ongoing struggle. I was unhappy unless I was focused on some sort of triathlon-related activity. At my job, I was miserable, and the only way I could make it through some days was to look forward to that evening's workout. Even on the worst days, I could go run or bike or swim.




All that focus paid off on race day. I headed to Augusta with the goal of just finishing in a decent time (goal was around 06:15:00)...I crossed the finish line at 05:49:24, more than 25 minutes faster than I had hoped. My swim was a solid 5-10 minutes faster than I could have hoped for. I biked at 18.35 mph for 56 miles...and tied my personal record on a 13.1 mile run as I averaged a 9:30 pace, finishing in just over 02:04 for the run. I finished the race in the top third of my division. It went so much better than I could have ever imagined, and little did I know at the time, I'd need that positive outcome to carry me for a while.

.


One year ago, I never would've imagined having to set aside running/biking/swimming for 3 months because of a car wreck and whiplash a mere 2 weeks after completing that race. Who knows, if I'd not gotten in that wreck, maybe I'd be packing my bags for Ironman Chattanooga this weekend, or maybe I'd be heading back Augusta to try to out-do myself. That's not where I am, though. I am running half the distance I was a year ago, and at a slower pace. I am biking at the same speed and sometimes faster, just not as far or as often. It was really tough to wrap my head around the idea of running/racing without being somewhat competitive, but it's been a nice break.

At least when I race, I still look serious!

I did push myself, even while having fun.

In past year of not being totally obsessed with racing, I've been re-acquainted with myself. I've found out that I do actually enjoy architecture when in the right working environment. I have had time to build new and better relationships with people I care about. Instead of training myself non-stop for races, I've channeled that energy into helping others accomplish their running/triathlon goals. I've helped train a few friends and family to complete their first races (of many, I'm sure)...from 5K to half-marathon to triathlon. It's been great to see the sport from a different perspective. 


Training day w/ Lindsay!
First time running w/ mom & dad!


My run/tri clubs helped make my races fun, not too intense this year!

Plus, I got a medal my first race this season :)

These past few months, I would not have been able to maintain the training I was doing a year ago. There is no way. Last year, my life was triathlon. This year, I'm living a full life again. At times, it's been admittedly difficult to watch my active friends post about big races and training on facebook, only because I remember that rush. However, now that the season is over, I can officially announce that I accomplished my goal... I survived a season without being obsessed/competitive! I had fun with it! 


Runningnerds run for the post-race pizza & beer.

Last year, I'd never have been a beer mile beast!

Yes, there were moments I was hard on myself, but overall, I did it. I took the time to enjoy life and enjoy triathlon without having to constantly push myself to do better. In doing so, I found that I didn't need to do a race every week or so to be happy. I did plenty of races early in the summer, and by the second half of the season, I took time to do whatever I wanted on weekends. Sometimes what I wanted to do wasn't run/bike/race! What a concept? It's been great, but it's been a challenge. 


Shooting the Hooch instead of training!

I can enjoy festivals when I'm not training non-stop.
And beer... there's always time for beer.

No comments: