If I had to describe my home-buying experience in one word, I'd say @*%! No, really... "patience" is the word. I think the past few months require a lot more words than one, but seeing as I am one of the least patient people you'll ever meet...patience is the word that stands out. I'm a bit high-strung and anxious when it comes to certain things. Buying a home is one of those anxiety-inducing experiences, for sure. Now, there was a time when I'd have been a complete basket-case throughout such a long, drawn out process. That time was this past summer. I have been slightly more out-of-it than usual for the past few months. I've been pretty up-front about the overall reason, simply that buying this house was one of the biggest headaches I could've imagined voluntarily bringing on myself.
On January 29, 2011, I met with my Realtor for the first time (the same day 3 houses on my street burned, actually)...about a block and a half down the street from where I was living at the time in Adair Park. This was the first of many Saturdays spent hopping from house to house, but the more I looked the more I was convinced that I wanted to buy in Adair Park. Patience was waiting until I found the right home for me.
Sometime in mid-March, I was told about a not-yet-listed property on my street that fit what I'd been looking for. I added it to my list of houses and looked at it along w/ a few others one Saturday in late March. I even took some photos and emailed to my parents b/c it was by far my favorite house I'd seen, despite the fact that it was only 80% finished with renovations (it was a mess inside). By early April, my Realtor and I had started communicating with the seller about the details of what this house would look like once finished, and when that would be. Patience meant that I had to kind of let go of control, let the seller/contractors do their work, and wait for the right time to jump.
The first week in May, I made an offer on the house (which was still not complete or on the market). We knew it'd take a while to get a response, but I was willing to wait...after all, I was renting just down the road, so I was already in the neighborhood I loved. After 6 weeks of waiting (and pretty much assuming it'd never happen), I got a counter offer. By June 17, 2011, I was under contract on the house, and the closing date was set at August 19th. Patience, at this point, was waiting so long each step of the way.
By late July, I'd told my landlord (who had been wonderful to let us continue on a monthly basis as long as I gave him plenty of notice to move out) that all was moving forward and I would be moving into my new house at the end of August. At this point, the construction was set to be finished by the end of July, maybe early August, so there'd be plenty of time to close and get moved in before my old lease was up. About a week into August, things got a bit more stressful. I found out that my closing date wasn't likely to happen, but we were assured by the seller that I would be in my new home by the end of the month. That was good b/c my previous house had already been rented out for the following month. Then, I found out I wouldn't be closing in August. Luckily, my Realtor was able to work out a temporary occupancy agreement b/c, otherwise, I'd be homeless until closing. Patience, now, meant that I just had to trust that things would work out... I could do nothing about it.
On August 28th, I moved into the new house...no running water, no A/C, no gas hook-up, and numerous other items were unfinished. In the next few weeks, contractors came and went, things slowly got done. I faced constant ups and downs regarding the house and the financing (every time dates change, they flipped out and needed more info from me). My second closing date (Sept 16) came and went, and I was only a little bit surprised that it didn't happen by then. Then, Sept 30 was set as the final closing date...last Friday. I was SO ready (and rightfully so), and it worked out well b/c I had a house concert planned for the next day. Great timing. I'd learned by now that patience meant not getting angry or upset when things don't work out quite as perfectly as planned.
Two days before I was supposed to close (again), I was informed that there were still a few hold-ups. Seriously? I didn't stress, I just pressed on. I knew it would happen eventually. Then, finally... today, Oct 5, 2011, I sat down in a law office and signed my life away. I closed on the house around noon today. So, the battle that began about 6 months ago has finally come to a close. Patience... patience has been the biggest lesson, and one of the hardest, I have learned in a long time.
I honestly cannot remember the last time I waited patiently for anything for this long...I've had to wait, yes, but not patiently. In this situation, there was so little that I could do. So, I just waited. I prayed. I answered questions the best I could without getting too upset about the situation. I simply waited, and it was worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment